Tuesday, September 1, 2015

I Feel TOO Much, so thank you Jamie Tworkowski.. (A kind of book review)



I just read a book! (stop laughing.. I know who you are)  More importantly, I just read a book in less than 4 days that literally felt like I was reading my own words at some points.

If you feel too much: Thoughts on Things Found and Lost and Hoped for by Jaime Tworkowski. 

If you have never heard of this guy, then you should look him up. He doesn’t preach religion or finding Jesus or 12 steps (none of which are bad just not for everyone). He preaches things that speak to everyone whether you are spiritually inclined, a friend of Bill or none of the above. I use the word preaches, because reading his writing made me feel spiritual in a way. 

Jaime started an organization called To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA), which started as a piece he wrote about a close friend of his that suffered from depression, addiction, self-injury and thoughts of suicide. His stories are real stories, some sad and some happy, but they all have a meaning that I can relate to. I actually used my highlighter tool to save references to return to if/when needed.

There was a light that went out after mom passed, a light that shined and helped me get through things with words from my heart. This book just gave me my light back and made me realize that sharing stories just like Jamie does, helps others, especially when you are just doing that, telling life stories that are real. Most people don’t want you to talk at them or throw a whole bunch of information in their faces about depression statistics and medications and what’s wrong with you; I know that is a negative experience for me.  

When I started my blog years ago, my intentions were to put my thoughts out there in hopes that it would help someone; even if it is just one person that happens upon it and says “well damn, I’m not alone” that would make it worthwhile putting my inner most feelings out there for anyone to judge, because honestly, as I was reading this book, I said that quite a few times. 

This book hit something in me and made me want to get back to life. 
I hope that one day, to have helped even one person like I set out to do at a very young age in high school.

Since I am way too excited to get the right words out, I will finish with one of my favorite quotes from the book in the chapter titled Elephants (Father’s Day).

Love is a thousand things, but at the center is a choice. It is a choice to love people. Left to myself, I get quiet and bitter and critical. I get angry. I feel sorry for myself. It is a choice to love people. It is a choice to be kind. It is a choice to be patient, to be honest, to live with grace. I would like to start making better choices.”

and so would I..


Peace & Love…

No comments:

Post a Comment