Thursday, March 31, 2011

Raise Your Kids

What ever happened to parents wanting to raise their kids to be respectable, clean-cut adults? I think that got flushed down the toilet a long time ago. It’s like now, parents aren’t even raising their kids they are letting them do it themselves. Kids go where they please ALONE, they skip school and there are no consequences and THEY FIGHT!

Which brings me to my topic for the day; I was watching The Today show this morning and they were talking about this new craze of teens videotaping fights and then posting them. They actually plan these fights and then beat the hell out of each other for fun! I don’t get it. One girl ended up dead last week and a few others in the hospital. The thing that pissed me off the most was that in one video, they “mother of the year” was cheering her child on! I mean I remember the days of backyard wrestling and “meet me in the parking lot after school” fights, but this is just getting ridiculous. There are plenty of anger outlets for kids. You want to fight? Join a MMA school, Karate, join the wrestling team or here’s an idea for the parents MONITOR YOUR KIDS!

When I was about 10 I remember my father found a Tae Kwon Do school and he and my younger sister joined, soon after my mother and then well, I was told I had to join as well. I hated every minute of it! The only part that I did enjoy was the sparring part; I realized that I wasn’t scared; it felt great to let out any kind of anger or frustration I may have been having and I actually enjoyed getting hit, which really pissed my dad off. But learning Martial Arts didn’t turn me into a confrontational person who would go to school and pick fights. I suppose it skipped a generation with me, because both my sisters were all about starting fights or finishing them to say the least.

I was picked on growing up both at school from my peers and home from my sisters. Kids are just mean, they say terrible things and it’s like they are even worse now with TV and stuff they learn from their parents. I have never been in an actual physical fight. I had “words” with many girls and boys, but it never turned into something actually physical. I was in shoving matches but they never escalated from that. I never wanted to fight with anyone I just never thought it would solve anything, and honestly it really doesn’t. I have a memory from one summer when me and my younger sister were fighting in the kitchen hitting each other. My parents where not home, but dad walked in the door and caught us fighting each other. He made us stop, and then proceeded to get our sparring gear out. Neither one of us knew what was going to happen next. He threw our bags on the floor and told us to put on our gear. So we did, he then made us go out in the backyard (yes where the neighborhood could see us) and fight each other. I don’t know who won the fight that day, all I remember is I didn’t want to have to do this again and I am pretty sure I stepped in dog crap! I have no idea what we were fighting over and I don’t think I cared after that, but that was one lesson my dad taught me that I will never forget. What does it prove?

I am reminded now, of the reasoning behind me and my husband not wanting anymore children when we decided. I am worried enough raising one boy in this world we live in, I would lose my mind if I had to raise another child with all the things that kids are doing now. Peer pressure never goes away, and it seems worse now than it ever was when I was growing up and that scares me to death. I can honestly say, I fear for my sons future and I just hope that I can raise him to make the decisions that I have always made (most of the decisions I have made) and let him be the peacekeeper like his mama always has been.

PEACE love and if you can’t take care of yourself then you probably SHOULDN’T have kids..

No comments:

Post a Comment