Friday, May 7, 2010

Dearest Sisters


There is something to be said about a long car ride in the middle of nowhere with my older sister that just reminds me of how important it is to have her. There is a special bond that sisters have and even if bad things happen, that bond can be rejuvenated in an instant.

I grew up the middle child of three girls. I like to believe that I was always the peacemaker or the mommy of the three. We had our fights and disagreements, but when things were good, they were really good. My baby sister and I were always close, well because she was the baby and for some reason I always felt the need to watch her closely as if I were her mother. My older sister and I have always had a totally different relationship. One of trust, understanding and love. I tried to give her what she didn't get from our parents as they were always at odds with each other. I tried my best to listen to her and keep her sane and calm at all costs. They both have such special places in my heart, that it kills me to see either one in pain, unhappy or hurting in anyway.

This past weekend, I spent some time much needed time with my sisters. My big sister and I drove the long, boring, backwoods two and a half hour trip to visit our baby sister. Before I go on, I guess I could explain where we were going and why we had to go all the way there. Well, in short my baby sister made some wrong turns over the past couple of years and she finally ran out of luck and got caught doing the wrong thing. She now resides in a woman's correctional facility in Florida and does not have an out date for another year or so. That is as far as I will go on that.
For the first time in years, all three of us were together for no reason, but to visit with each other. We came together to be there for her and it felt so great. We shared hugs, and kisses. We reminisced on happy memories. We talked about sad memories and well, we cried...We caught up. We talked about future plans, but above all, we were together and even in silence it was a wonderful feeling.
It may not have been the best venue for a sister reunion, but it was wonderful to finally have time together.

Over the years we have all been so judgemental upon each other, but once we realized that it was not us causing these judgements, we grew past it. We made a pact on Saturday May 1, 2010, that we will care for each other and be there to pick each other up when we fall, because that is what sisters are for. I will always remember our day together, not because of where we were, but because of how we were, we were sisters and we were real. There were not officers around, we weren't locked in, we were there together like we will be forever and that is what was important.

And I will end with a quote from the book I bought for my sister (Love Letters to my sister).

"You can feel my love if whenever you need, whenever you choose, no matter where you are. Just think of me and feel my love lifting up your happiness. Let my good feelings for you empower you. I love you, Your sister."

Peace N Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment