Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Tiny Warrior




Today I write on behalf of a very strong little girl named Shaylin, she has been fighting all kinds of health obstacles since birth, but that is just it…She has been FIGHTING! This little girl is 3 years old and has an extraordinary will to live. I went to visit her about a month ago in the hospital. She may or may not have known I was there visiting, but the way she has been fighting, I hope and believe that the next visit she will be awake and I will actually get to see what a personality I truly believe she has.

Next time you feel like complaining about any kind of problem you have in life, check out this page and become a member to read her story; carepages.com (prayers for Shaylin). I have dubbed this little princess as a “baby warrior”. If that isn't a definition of will to live, I don’t know what is. I personally believe it is a mother’s love, that helps a child fight. Any kind of love has power, but a mother’s love is so strong, it can make things happen. We carry our children around in our belly for 9 months and help it grow and stay healthy. The scariest part is bringing that child out into the world. They are no longer protected by your womb. Suddenly the mother’s love becomes doubled! Whether you have adopted a child or were blessed to be able to have one, either way….You don’t mess with a mother! She will protect her baby until the end of time and our babies know it. They can sense it!

I am a firm believer that children are born pure and that they are more aware of their spiritual surroundings than adults. Just as they are fearless, they are also sensitive to everything that goes on around them (awake or asleep). I believe the reason that children are such strong individuals is because they are so innocent. They don’t know anything bad or scary unless we allow them to see those things. They are just pure and happy and that is really all they know. Yet the older we get, the quicker we are ready to throw in the towel.

I remember being a child and not having a care in the world. I had no idea what was going on around me, but that did not last long. I was not too old when I remembered my parent’s first fight, I thought we were the Brady Bunch until then; or my first trip to emergency room, not so fearless after that; or getting picked on for the first time by someone at school, lasted longer than I care to admit. I think that it why it makes us so sad to watch our babies grow up so quickly. They were protected from the world when they were under our wing so to speak. Then they start school and there is “that” child that teaches them about the real things in life, that he/she learned at a young age. They come home and catch the news before you change the channel and suddenly they are worried that our house will catch fire...

For all of these facts, I have a special place in my heart that hurts for Shaylin and her mama. No child or mother should have to endure what they are going through. She was born into a fight with her health. She has no control over it, and she is not giving up. She was brought into this world to make a statement and at 3 years old, I think her statement is that of bravery and strength... Something we all could use!

So, to Shaylin Lewis at 3 years of age: You are a warrior, like Joan of Arc will not give up and I am humbled by your “will to live”.

No comments:

Post a Comment